Cardamom Tented Camp directly contributes and supports the fight to save Cambodia’s forest and wildlife.
Since opening in 2017, the Cardamom Tented Camp has integrated the role of 12 forest rangers who protect a 180 sq km (70 sq miles) lowland forest concession into the guest experience. In turn, the camp helps the forest rangers with salary support and physical amenities such as solar power generators at ranger stations. The rangers take turn to lead conservation tourism hikes through the forest. They show tourists confiscated traps, mesh and weapons used by poachers.
Due to the rangers work, the illegal wildlife trade has been massively reduced in the forest which is now seeing a resurgence in formerly traded mammals such as the endangered clouded leopard, sun bear, northern pig-tailed macaque, pangolin, the Nicobar crab-eating macaque, and the (extremely shy) pileated gibbon, to name a few.
Cardamom Tented Camp is a partnership between Wildlife Alliance, the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation, the Minor Group, and camp operator YAANA Ventures.
Since opening, the camp has operated under the slogan, “Your Stay Keeps the Forest Standing.” Neighbouring areas in and around the 180 sq km concession have been cleared and replaced with mono-culture plantations of palm oil or rubber, with disastrous results for wildlife.
By comparison, in its concession, the Cardamom Tented Camp and its partners are making a stand against habitat destruction and the trade in wildlife species by using sustainable tourism as a force for good.
Get in touch with us:
- 1.It’s a Man’s World: Cambodia’s Rape Culture
- 2.Murder in Cambodia
- 3.Stitched up in Cambodia: When having a baby means losing your job
- 4.🌏 earthrise – Pangolin Rangers
- 5.India: Where old clothes go to get a new life
- 6.These Huge Rats Can Sniff Out Land Mines | National Geographic
- 7.Stitched up in Cambodia: When having a baby means losing your job.
- 8.Cambodia: Orphan tourism | 101 East
- 9.Cambodia’s Orphans | Get Real | Channel NewsAsia Connect
- 10.Cambodia´s Garment Industry (Documentary “A Day in the Cambodian Garment Factory”)
- 11.Cambodia Fashion Week – Ghosts in the Garment Factory
- 12.🇰🇭 Cambodia: Dying for fashion | 101 East
- 13.Plundering Cambodia’s Forests | 101 East
- 14.‘Vigilantes’ Fight to Save Cambodia’s Forests | Radio Free Asia (RFA)
- 15.Local Cambodian Patrols Seek to End Illegal Logging
- 16.Saving Cambodia’s Forest and Wildlife | Cardamom Tented Camp
- 17.Monks Hold Ceremony to Protect Cambodian Forest | Radio Free Asia (RFA)