Explorer/adventurer George Kourounis visits the Aral Sea in western Uzbekistan where wasteful irrigation practices by the former Soviet Union have drained most of the water, creating a vast ecological disaster. Rusting fishing boats lie in the desert sands that used to be rich fishing grounds.
Filmed as part of the Angry Planet TV series.
Produced by: www.peterrowe.tv
- 1.Aral Sea: The sea that dried up in 40 years – BBC News
- 2.Full Documentary: “Aral. The lost sea” by Isabel Coixet | We Are Water Foundation
- 3.Aral Sea Reborn – earthrise
- 4.Aral Sea – Animation 1960-2014
- 5.The Dried up Aral Sea Eco-Disaster
- 6.Aral Sea: Man-made environmental disaster – BBC News
- 7.Video: Dried-up Aral Sea springs back to life
- 8.Assignment Asia: Kazakhstan Aral Sea restoration
- 9.UN Aral Sea Programme
- 10.Aral Sea Part I: A catastrophic disappearing act..
- 11.Aral Sea Part II: Can a dam reverse the damage?
- 12.Aral Sea Part III: Return of the Fish?