Off the coast of East Africa in the Zanzibar archipelago, lie the island of Pemba and islet of Kokota. When Mbarouk Mussa Omar visited Kokota a decade ago, it was teetering toward the brink of collapse. Deforestation and climate change had wreaked havoc on the tiny islet. He recognized that his island of Pemba could suffer the same fate and was determined to do something.
➡ Subscribe: http://bit.ly/NatGeoSubscribe
➡ Get More Short Film Showcase: http://bit.ly/ShortFilmShowcase
#NationalGeographic #EastAfrica #Deforestation
About Short Film Showcase:
The Short Film Showcase spotlights exceptional short videos created by filmmakers from around the web and selected by National Geographic editors. We look for work that affirms National Geographic’s belief in the power of science, exploration, and storytelling to change the world. The filmmakers created the content presented, and the opinions expressed are their own, not those of National Geographic Partners.
Know of a great short film that should be part of our Showcase? Email email@example.com to submit a video for consideration. See more from National Geographic’s Short Film Showcase at http://documentary.com
Get More National Geographic:
Official Site: http://bit.ly/NatGeoOfficialSite
Mbarouk teamed up with Jeff Schnurr, a young Canadian tree planter living in Tanzania. Schnurr’s knowledge and Mbarouk’s connections with Kokotans mobilized local residents to use innovative solutions to counter the effects of climate change. Kokota: The Islet of Hope is a celebration of ingenuity and one community’s effort to reforest their island to adapt to a warming climate.
Learn more about Community Forests International, the organization leading these initiatives.
About National Geographic:
National Geographic is the world’s premium destination for science, exploration, and adventure. Through their world-class scientists, photographers, journalists, and filmmakers, Nat Geo gets you closer to the stories that matter and past the edge of what’s possible.
An Island On the Brink of Collapse Makes a Huge Comeback | Short Film Showcase
- 1.Bride Trade: Fighting Tanzania’s child bride tradition
- 2.Tanzania’s witch trials | Unreported World
- 3.Water contamination in Tanzania | DW Documentary
- 4.The New Environmentalists – From Peru to Tanzania
- 5.Navigating drought: The app saving Kenya’s herders | earthrise
- 6.At Sea Inspections reveal IUU fishing in West Indian Ocean
- 7.Isaac. The Story of a Little Giant. Heroic and cute, the landmine-detecting super rats!
- 8.APOPO HeroRATs – Giant rats detecting landmines
- 9.A Day in the Life of a HeroRAT-in-Training
- 10.Faces of Africa – Fidelis, APOPO and the Hero Rats
- 11.Bart Weetjens: How I taught rats to sniff out land mines
- 12.APOPO HeroRATs – Rats detecting Tuberculosis
- 13.Giant Rats Can Detect Tuberculosis! | Extraordinary Animals | Series 2 | Earth
- 14.An Island On the Brink of Collapse Makes a Huge Comeback | Short Film Showcase
- 15.Coca-Cola’s plastic secrets | DW Documentary