We know a lot of factual information about the starling—its size and voice, where it lives, how it breeds and migrates—but what remains a mystery is how it flies in murmurations, or flocks, without colliding. This short film by Jan van IJken was shot in the Netherlands, and it captures the birds gathering at dusk, just about to start their “performance.” Listen well and you’ll be able to hear how this beautiful phenomenon got its name.
➡ Subscribe: http://bit.ly/NatGeoSubscribe
➡ Get More Short Film Showcase: http://bit.ly/ShortFilmShowcase
About Short Film Showcase:
The Short Film Showcase spotlights exceptional short videos created by filmmakers from around the web and selected by National Geographic editors. We look for work that affirms National Geographic’s belief in the power of science, exploration, and storytelling to change the world. The filmmakers created the content presented, and the opinions expressed are their own, not those of National Geographic Partners.
Know of a great short film that should be part of our Showcase? Email email@example.com to submit a video for consideration. See more from National Geographic’s Short Film Showcase at http://documentary.com
Get More National Geographic:
Official Site: http://bit.ly/NatGeoOfficialSite
About National Geographic:
National Geographic is the world’s premium destination for science, exploration, and adventure. Through their world-class scientists, photographers, journalists, and filmmakers, Nat Geo gets you closer to the stories that matter and past the edge of what’s possible.
A film by Jan van IJken / www.janvanijken.com
Watch the full-length video here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/130410
Flight of the Starlings: Watch This Eerie but Beautiful Phenomenon | Short Film Showcase
- 1.Wildlife-Friendly Motorways
- 2.Globally Great – Dutch Sustainability
- 3.How Dutch Innovation and Research feeds the World
- 4.The Netherlands and United States: Tackling Climate and Energy Challenges through Innovation
- 5.Water Management – The Delta Approach
- 6.Witness the Installation of a Giant GE Wind Turbine in the Netherlands
- 7.A 22-year-old has raised $30M to fund his idea behind cleaning up plastic in the ocean
- 8.Ocean cleanup: Dutch group to rid Great Pacific Garbage Patch of trash in 2018 – TomoNews
- 9.Boyan Slat – The New Picture of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (2018)
- 10.Dutch scientists close to ‘breakthrough’ method of growing crops in deserts
- 11.Test-tube burgers and the future of meat | Earthrise
- 12.How Australia Impounded the World’s Second-Largest Fishing Trawler
- 13.Experimenting on Animals: Inside The Monkey Lab
- 14.WUR Alternatives for animal testing
- 15.Organ-on-chips: the power of combination | Berend van Meer | TEDxYouth@ISH
- 16.Budel Solar Farm, Netherlands
- 17.Could indoor farming help address food shortages?
- 18.Netherlands farm works to adapt to climate change effects
- 19.Bart Weetjens: How I taught rats to sniff out land mines
- 20.Flight of the Starlings: Watch This Eerie but Beautiful Phenomenon | Short Film Showcase
- 21.The Netherlands: Worlds Biggest Tax Haven?