Poverty threatens more German seniors than ever. How to make ends meet, when pension isn’t enough?
Herbert worked nearly his entire life, as a welder and as a sailor. But he never put much thought into his pension. Now at 65, he barely receives enough to make ends meet. He can hardly afford daily expenses, not to mention hobbies or a vacation. The number of people in Germany struck with the same fate as Herbert is on the rise. At 15%, the rate of pensioners living at poverty level has leapt higher than any other segment in society. Herbert relies on food donations and collects bottles left behind by party-revelers for extra cash. It’s not easy for him, but he has no other choice. Just like so many other pensioners, even in Germany’s wealthiest regions. A report by Axel Rowohlt.
- 1.Putting the Fizz Back into Planet Earth
- 2.Life without plastic | DW Documentary
- 3.Germany’s poor pensioners | DW Documentary
- 4.Germany: Homeless Students | European Journal
- 5.Sustainable Tourism | Discover Germany
- 6.Energy to go: the world’s smallest hydropower plant | Eco-at-Africa
- 7.Berlin is Becoming a Sponge City
- 8.The Child Labour Experiment
- 9.Germany’s Renewable Energy Revolution
- 10.An Immersive Voyage Into Germany’s Energy Revolution | National Geographic
- 11.How To Save The World: Germany’s Wind Power Economy
- 12.Ravens and crows – the most intelligent birds in the world (animal documentary in HD)
- 13.Climate heroes – carbon neutral living | DW Documentary (Environment documentary)
- 14.Is China doing enough to fight climate change? | DW News