Amid the Covid-19 pandemic in Brazil, the populist president Jair Bolsonaro is refusing to sacrifice the economy for the sake of public health. Just like him, his supporters downplay the crisis and denounce the “coronavirus tyranny”. But local authorities have taken the lead and have adopted lockdown measures against the president’s advice. Even in the favelas, the locals are afraid of Covid-19 and are doing what they can. With 13 million people living in these cramped working-class neighbourhoods, the threat of a health disaster is only too real. Our reporters in Brazil investigate.
Subscribe to France 24 now:
FRANCE 24 live news stream: all the latest news 24/7
Visit our website:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel:
Like us on Facebook:
- 1.Brazil drought linked to Amazon deforestation
- 2.Beached Whale
- 3.Fruits of the Forest
- 4.Inside Rio’s favelas, the city’s neglected neighbourhoods
- 5.Slash & Burn | Part 1: Why Amazonian farmers use fire
- 6.Slash & Burn | Part 2: How Amazonian farmers manage fire
- 7.Slash & Burn | Part 3: Problems that occur with burn practices
- 8.Slash & Burn | Part 4: Alternatives to present practices
- 9.Slash & Burn | Part 5: How can things change?
- 10.How Brazil is halting deforestation in the Amazon
- 11.Environment vs Development | Amazon: Truth and Myth | BBC
- 12.Investigating Deforestation of the Amazon | Ross Kemp Extreme World
- 13.Brazil: Slaves To Fashion – Latin America Investigates
- 14.The fight for Brazil’s rainforest
- 15.Illegal Loggers: The Tribe Waging War in the Amazon
- 16.How Do You Plant a Rainforest?
- 17.Hold the Line Episode 1: Is it worth killing an ecosystem for the sake of development?
- 18.Hold the Line Episode 2: Who benefits from this so-called development?
- 19.Hold the Line Episode 3: What future will we have if our natural resources are gone?
- 20.Amazon rainforest fires could devastate the fight against climate change
- 21.Drone footage reveals aftermath of Amazon fires
- 22.Amazon fires: the tribes fighting to save their dying rainforest
- 23.Amazon rainforest indigenous people in fight for survival- BBC News
- 24.Brazil’s indigenous population fights back | DW Documentary (Environment documentary)
- 25.Amazon fires create respiratory issues for people of Brazil l ABC News
- 26.Amazon forest fire: What it tells us about deforestation
- 27.Hotspots: Surge in deforestation in Amazon rainforest
- 28.Deforestation creating climate issues for the Amazon rainforest
- 29.Bolsonaro blames Amazon rainforest wildfires on green groups | DW News
- 30.Special report: The Amazon rainforest ablaze
- 31.How One Rich American Is Helping to Burn the Amazon for Profit | Opinions | NowThis
- 32.Why Is the Amazon Burning, and What’s Next? | The New Yorker
- 33.Amazon fire ban – BBC News
- 34.Amazon fires: burning continues despite ban
- 35.Amazon rainforest fires could have global implications | 7.30
- 36.Amazon wildfires an international crisis | The Drum
- 37.Meet the Ranchers Who Claim the Brazilian Amazon is Theirs to Burn | The Dispatch
- 38.The Amazon rainforest in Brazil is burning. Who started the fires? | The Fact Checker
- 39.Fires rage across Amazon rainforest at record pace
- 40.Why is the Amazon burning? | CNBC Explains
- 41.Firefighter Rescues Baby Bird From Bolivian Wildfires
- 42.Populism and the pandemic: The great divide in Brazil
- 43.Bolsonaro won’t help with coronavirus, so Brazil’s favelas are helping themselves
- 44.Brazil’s Bolsonaro: Turning COVID-19 denial into media spectacle | The Listening Post (Full)
- 45.Why has Brazil been so badly hit by coronavirus?